Monday, February 9, 2009

A Case of the Mondays

Alright, it's only been monday for about ten minutes, but I have been waiting for this monday. Let's rewind back to last monday. I was still in a Derby City Haze and I had a bit of a toothache. Luckily, I already had a dentist appointment scheduled for that day. I made it back just in time and I eagerly awaited my new crown (that I had been waiting months for). Well....let's change that whole idea. Turns out the pain I was feeling...in the way back tooth on my upper right side, was because I need a root canal...yippie!

So the appointment went something like this....

Dentist: "So, you have some pain, let's do a couple of tests to make sure that's what it is and get you taken care of."

Me: "Okay"

Now, you know that stupid metal, spikey thing, imagine that hitting your sore tooth at let's say, 100 mph. Wow...that hurt.

Me: "aaaaaahhhhh, that's it."

Dentist: "Well, just to be sure, lets try one more test. This one we will put something cold near your tooth just to be sure."

Me: "okay"

So here it comes, something cold, no clue what it was but it might as well have been a never-ending cup of ice water pouring directly onto my tooth!

Me: "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH"

Dentist: "Okay, seems as though you need a root canal, we don't have time to do it today but we will get you some antibiotics. That should help with the pain."

So on my way I go to the nearest Walgreens knowing that I only have to wait until Wednesday for the pain to subside.

Well, Wednesday came around and I was there (bright and early) for my appointment. Turns out Novacaine doesn't work too well and I needed about 12 shots of it to numb my mouth. The othe problem...the stupid dental assistant took my temporary off and then decided to try to put a dental dam around my tooth (to isolate so they won't drop the tools down my throat and kill me supposedly). Apparently it was her first day on the job and she didn't realize that this would not work around a partial tooth. But boy did she try...for an hour and a half! In this process I was hit in the other teeth a bunch of times with metal tools, my gums were totally torn up and I'm lucky my jaw wasn't locked in place! Finally after being there for two hours I asked if they could just re-apply the temporary and I could come back another day...sounded like a good idea at the time.

Dentist: "I'm so sorry about this, it's our mistake. I will give you some pain pills and new antibiotics. We will get you in as soon as possible and the pain should be going away."

Me: "Okay" (this time a little more pissed than anything)

So off I go again, to the nearest Walgreens. I get to the Walgreens, put in my order and wait my 10-20 minutes. Finally, they call my name. I get to the window and for the first time, I am recognized. The Pharmacist says "Are you the Sarah Rousey that plays pool?" (all while doing the bridge and stroke motion that is always done when someone is describing pool) I answer yes and this leads to a long conversation. Now, I'm usually more than happy to talk to anyone and everyone but keep in mind, I kind of feel (and look) like I have been to battle and lost. I had on no make-up, my face was swollen and numb and I'm pretty sure I was drooling. He was a nice guy, asking when the WPBA would be back to Peoria, IL and how nice Jeanette Lee is and of course how he used to play pool but isn't very good anymore. I'm sure he couldn't understand a word I was saying but I was trying. I think the drool must have got to him so he ended the conversation with a "good luck". So, Mr. Pharmacist, if you happen to read my blog, I apologize for my drooling and rambling! All I could think was, wow, what a time to be recognized!!

Keep in mind, this was Wednesday. My new appointment was scheduled for today, Monday. That is five whole days of not being able to hardly open my mouth, eat, drink anything cold, and pretty much not breathe because this hurts!! In my amatuer Dentist point of view, my nerve is totally exposed. I am not happy. I have accomplished a whole lot of nothing between Wednesday and today. Sure, they say pain medication will cure all but for me, all I did was sleep and sleep and sleep.

So now, my appointment is at 10 am. This is the happiest I have ever been to go to the Dentist and get this all taken care of. If something happens today and they can't do the root canal I'm just going to have to ask them if they can make me hibernate until the next appointment! All I can think of is what I will finally get to eat, cheeseburger, steak, cereal...the list is endless! In the words of my friends Mel, Jay and Monkey..."mmmmmm...fooooood"

That's my rant. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Somebody recognized you no way, by the way who is the smokin red head in the youtube vid? I think it's the same girl who never opens her eyes when her picture is taken but not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Raymond.

    Chris..I'm not sure who that is cause I didn't see a redhead, just some boring brown. Whoever it is actually has eyes, not just eyelids!

    ReplyDelete