Friday, October 23, 2009

Do You Remember?

This week as I was looking around on the net and I came across a video that I thought was pretty cool. It made me wonder if any readers here can relate. Do you remember the first time you met your idol, reached a goal, or rose to the occasion when it was needed?

This video is of a 12-year old that got a chance to hear Tiger Woods speak at the opening of his new golf course. Tiger asked if anyone wanted to drive. Out of the crowd the boy confidently said "I will.". He proceeded to hit two perfect drives. The interview showed what a once in a life time opportunity he just had. I also like how Tiger compliments him and asks him to do it again. Notice how fearless only kids can be!

Here is the video:

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video.


Now my answer to my own question. I had a moment kind of like this. I remember walking up to all of the top pros at the BCA trade show back in 1993. I was 10, almost 11. I played a challenge game with every pro that I could. When I was young my favorite player was Vivian Villarreal. I think my parents might have paid her off or something, but she came to watch one of my matches during the Junior Nationals. I was nervous as can be, but wanted to prove that I was a pool player. I won my match and got to meet my idol. Knowing how different I was at that age, I probably told her to look out for me when I grow up!

I had a moment too during my first pro event that I felt like this kid. He said he didn't want to top the ball, I didn't want to embarrass myself. I actually won a match and lost two hill-hill matches, so just like him, I was surprised but I rose to the occasion.

Please feel free to share any stories that you have about yourself or your kids or anyone that has had a similar experience. They can be very uplifting and I can't wait to read them!

3 comments:

  1. i'm still waiting to meet my favorite player. when i was first starting out the player that really caught my attention was corey duel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    One of my favorite moments was meeting Sarah rousey. A really nice, down to earth person. I also enjoy her taking a picture with me. My real bonus was watching her play live. A really great professional that has a deep dedication toward the sport of pocket billiards.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for commenting! Ken, it was a pleasure meeting you back in February and seeing you again this month in Houston. Thanks for the kind words. Anonymous, I hope you get a chance to meet your favorite player and I hope he is all you expected!

    ReplyDelete