Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tournament Rundown

Well, my run is over...even though it was a good one, I am not totally happy with the result. I know it is being greedy to think if you do great once you will continue to do great forever. Please don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with the fact that I finished 5-8th, however I am not thrilled with my final match.

I feel like I had a hard time this week with myself. I was my own worst enemy at times. I was struggling very badly in the beginning of the tournament. I was doubting myself and not confident. I'm not exactly sure why this was happening since life has been good lately and I have been keeping busy doing what I love...all things pool related.

I feel like I can be honest here and say these things, I really had to fight with myself all through the tournament. My friends Monica and Helena once had me read a chapter of a book called "Winning Ugly". The chapter was about cleaning up other peoples mistakes. That is how things went for me this week. My opponents made some mistakes and I was left to clean it up. I'm not complaining by any means, but I know the reason why I won many games this tournament. All of this is going into my little book of things I need to work on. I know I need to work on being strong and winning games when I should, not making a mistake and getting away with it. I know most people would think a win is a win but I somewhat disagree. For example my match against Gerda went that way. She made some uncharacteristic mistakes, missing balls, poor safeties...all things that are not typical. It happened again when I played Helena. She missed a lot of balls that I know she should have made. She even said she didn't get out some easy games that would have made all the difference. So I know now that in the next few weeks I will be working on my position play and safety play. My safety play was extremely weak this week.

Okay enough about that. The reason that I am posting this semi-angry post is because of my last match. I had the task of playing Jeanette. Everyone knows she is a fan favorite and a great player. I knew that I would have to play well to win. I didn't play well at all. I struggled. I tried to play safe a few times and made another ball, I missed balls, I let outside things get to me. I have a lot of respect for Jeanette as a player but sometimes I wonder if the show she puts on gets in the way of her game. She put on one heck of a show for the crowd during our match. It is my own fault for being bothered by it because I should have known it was coming. I know that she probably didn't mean any disrespect but you sure could have fooled me...keep in mind, I did lose so I'm kind of still feeling the pain!

So now I know what I need to work on before the big trip to Taiwan...position, safety play, and mental game...not necessarily in that order.

Sorry for the rant but I do feel a bit better now! I will post back tomorrow with some pictures and all of that good stuff...this was just the raw post match feelings, sorry, no pictures.

7 comments:

  1. I watched the game you vs Lee,I'm sorry to know that,but try you best to do it!come on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the best place for you to work on your position, safes and your mental game is....NEW YORK CITY! we got an ottoman with your name on it!

    great tourney. 5-8th is no joke with that field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Salah! Its a great finish for your first tourney of the season. You're setting a good example by realizing what you need to work on and not just settling for just the 'W'. I guess that's what makes you kick ass, so keep up the good work. We are all cheering for you and you always put on a good show for us :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job anyway, you seem to have Gerda's number.Is there going to a be Rousey Show at the next event?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah what you should have done was unplug Jeanette's portable applause sign she brought with her, then she couldn't cue her hooligans on when they were supposed to cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! Buddha and Monkey, you know I'd love to come back to NYC as soon as possible but I can't until summer...I have this little trip to Taiwan I have to make, but I will see you guys in Vegas. AndyB..I am going to put on a show but it is only going to be a run-out show. I won't be able to make a ball if I try to get cute. Cbuck, you are right but I think if the chat could have been there I would have had the crowd on my side. Thanks for cheering me on everyone. I heard everyone was very nice in the chatroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, I understand how you feel. Sometimes it is very difficult to overcome your opponent's antics. I think, in that regard, that concentration is the most important factor and you cannot let your's be broken. And I also agree that while it may not be intentional, I think it can be disrespectful. That is is why I cannot stand one WPBA player, in particular, because she is the worst offender. I won't mention her name, but you could probably guess. Psycologically speaking, it may also be a defense mechanism, because the players that do this the most, may want to be drawing attention away from their weak game. That's my own opinion, anayway.
    You are certainly good enough to beat anybody...except maybe me. -Bullet

    ReplyDelete