Sunday, September 6, 2009

News, Randoms and Trivia

I promised some posts this week and technically, it is not this week anymore. I have been kind of in my own world lately. Life has been making me think way too much. As John Mayer said in one of his songs, "It might be a quarter-life crisis". I go through these times often and this time, it's lasted a bit longer than usual. I question what I'm doing with my life and wonder what in the world is going to happen. I think this makes me human and everyone goes through the same thing. My birthday is coming up soon and this always gets me thinking. Pool is my life and my passion, but it is getting harder and harder to survive out there. My life has been consumed by pool for almost 17 years now. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have made great friends, met cool people, and traveled the world. Still, I wonder if I would know what to do without all of that. Would I know how to live a 'normal' life? I am not meaning to sound like I am sitting on the pity pot, just trying to rant. I know I am very lucky so please don't think I am not grateful.

Anyway...This week I decided to practice for the first time in a month. Mentally, I haven't had much desire to play and like I said above, haven't exactly been in a good place. Physically, my elbow is still hurting but I can't go without practice. Wednesday I headed to the local pool room, Ride the Nine and started hitting balls. I haven't really been to the pool room in months since I have been traveling and working. It usually isn't very busy during the week besides a few regulars. The pool room is essentially a bar that happens to have 18 pool tables. I spent about four hours practicing and catching up with everyone. It was really awesome to get to talk to a few people (you guys know who you are). I had no idea that people really follow along with everything I do and how grateful people are to get to hang out or talk with me. It was very flattering, but I still insist I am no different than anyone else in the world. Just another person who likes to play pool. Thank you guys for lifting my spirits Wednesday night. It really meant a lot.

That leads into the question that was posted when I asked what people wanted to know about. How and what do I practice? To be completely honest, practice has never been my strong point. I hate drills and I am not very good at staying focused for very long. I usually just hit balls for about half an hour, then end up playing the ghost. My boyfriend is a drill freak. He will do drills for hours on end. It makes him crazy that I won't do the same. When he is around, I am more structured. He is there to set stuff up or watch and tell me if something is off. Last year when I started playing well he was around for a few months and really helped me stay focused and practice drills and shots that come up often. I have been pretty lazy in my practice as of lately. Just playing the ghost and shooting shots that I have trouble with. I have also been practicing using spin more and controlling it better. My position play has never been a strong point! If you look back in previous posts I posted a drill. The post is called 'Not so simple'. It is a good drill to start with. As for me, I have to get to practicing a lot for the next few months!

That leads to the big news. I have been invited to represent the USA again on the world stage. I am going to China again to play in the WPA Women's World 9-Ball!! If you have followed along and remember the last trip to a "world championship" it didn't go so well. This event is run by a different promotion group that I got to experience on that trip as well. The same group that promoted the China Open is in charge of this event. I am really excited to play in my first Women's World 9-ball Championship! I am happy to say that all of the Heartbackers that have donated so far in 2009 will be represented on this trip as well. If you would like to become a Heartbacker you can do so by donating through paypal over on the right side of the blog or contacting me. Everyone that donates receives a Heartbacker patch and some other goodies. Thank you so much to everyone that has been involved in helping me this year. I cannot thank you enough! You have helped make my dreams come true! I will definitely be prepared for everything this time and I look forward to real Chinese food again! Now you see why I need to whip myself into shape!!

The next adventure for me is up in the air. I am definitely going to Ignacio, CO for the WPBA event. What happens the week before is in question. The big tournament in Galveston is there. The women's division ends the day before the WPBA event begins. What to do, what to do?? I will let everyone know what the final decision is.

I hope everyone has enjoyed all of the live-stream pool action from this weekend. I was really overwhelmed with the choices! All week I had been staying up late to watch the World Cup of Pool. Congrats to Efren and Bustamante for winning. There was also the match between Jeanette Lee and Vivian Villarreal, the Texas Open, a Predator Tour event from New York, and the NCS Championships from Vegas. I hope that this means the pool world is growing. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to show all of these tournaments!

Finally, I am posting this weeks trivia question early. I have to go to Chicago for the day tomorrow so I won't be able to post it tomorrow afternoon like I usually do. So in honor of me paying off my school loans this week, here is the question:

What college did I attend??

Good luck to everyone and thanks again to PoolDawg for everything! Be sure to include your email address in your comment below!

That's my rant! Sorry for the lack of pictures.

7 comments:

  1. elmhurst?
    "normal life"? what's that?

    AndyB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the WPA invite! I'm sure it will go better since the sleep creep isn't running the show. If you need help funding the trip, you should check out this Kickstarter site. Basically a way for people to fund ideas, endeavors, etc.
    http://www.kickstarter.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I really thought I was going to beat the crowd, but Andy beat me to it.
    Congrats on the China trip. Can't wait to see some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. elmhurst college in illinois.......

    justin harris
    dragdime@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. err, I mean elmhurst IL at 17!!! knew I read it somewhere before

    ReplyDelete